Saturday, November 16, 2013

The Devil's Sign

 

This sign was banned from my primary school. I never did know why until one day B told me not to make that sign.

Does it have a meaning? I asked curiously, straightening my middle fingers.
"Yeah," he said. "It's the devil's sign in Arabic countries".
"Oh, so it's like a swearing sign?" I puzzled.
From his expression I got the impression that the devil's sign has a stronger connotation.
Oops.

In primary school, many people used that sign, not knowing that it might be offensive in other cultures. We had copied the sign off of rap videos.

An internet trending topic is that when Eminem used this sign over one eye, he was imitating an Illuminati symbol. Call me old, but I am a little confused as to how the Illuminati relates to selling one's soul to the devil and people who have Jewish faith (as rumoured). I ran a quick google search but yet I still don't understand. The internet talk concerns me, however.
It concerns me because I know that there is tension between Israel and Palestine somewhat regarding differences in faith, and that there are large numbers of people who don't believe that the Holocaust occurred. And, by a large number of people, I don't mean one or two conspiracy theorists in Australia or the USA or shell shocked elders in Japan or Germany. I wonder if there is or isn't any politics at play behind these Illuminati rumours.

3 comments:

  1. Actually, the pictured sign is the sign language symbol for "I love you." The devil sign is the same sign with the thumb turned inward (over the palm). The latter type of sign is supposed to be like the two horns of the devil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, Eminem has his thumb inwards in his profile picture ~ so you may be right. On the other hand, I've never done the inward thumb sign before and B is from Libya so perhaps it could be a variation of the inwards Devil sign. It's nicer to think that we were making the "I love you sign", though - us 'tough' tweenagers. Either way, thanks for that ~ I'll change the picture when I have time to redraw it on Paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you in Auslan (Australian sign language) is...how do you describe it...it's kind of like pinching the air down around your chin and pointing at the other person. It looks a little like blowing someone an airkiss.

    ReplyDelete