Sunday, July 21, 2013

War Australia and Japan


War isn't something that I am particularly fond of because I feel that there is great sadness in war.
So, when a work colleague invited me to a World War II tour I was a little reluctant to go. However, this was an important project for her as she was writing an article for a Japanese newspaper and so I wanted to support her. I also wanted to know how to be supportive for those who survived the war and later developed Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

An Australian soldier who survived 'the Bombing of Darwin' came with the tour group as well as a Japanese civilian who had survived the air raids in Japan as a child. It was interesting listening to their stories and to see no resentment or animosity between the two fellows. Our host was enthusiastic about piecing together an honest account of what had happened during World War II from the perspectives of Australian and Japanese people of that time. I found the tour forgiving, warm and honest. I recommend it!

 
I've also been to the Hiroshima Museum and the Hiroshima Peace Park before. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a digital picture of that for the moment. But, I was impressed about how the plight of other countries was acknowledged in the museum and I felt moved by the stories of hardship that many people had to endure as the result of the atomic bomb, particularly the stories of wounded children. :(
 
In War movies there is often a "good guy" and "the enemy". This is not the impression that I got from my World War II tours. Of course, I was not alive during World War II, so my views may be a little ignorant or naïve. I found that all of the people I met and learnt about seemed to be warm hearted, kind and forgiving human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment