Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Gender Roles vs Individualism: Japanese Husbands

 
"The husband will feel ashamed if his wife has to work; people will look down upon him."
 
This isn't the exact wording, but the general gist of a conversation I had with a Japanese husband and wife (some of my host parents). I was curious as to why all of my female host parents had written on my forms that they were house wives; whilst, all (except one) of them had some other kind of job also. For example, they had jobs as Dance Instructors or as Office Reception Staff.
 
"Do you help with the house chores?" I asked  the husband, curiously.
"Oh no," his wife interrupted, happily, folding the washing. "In Japan, that is the wife's duty."
 
The next morning the husband was complaining about how his wife leaves him to do all of the housework. "Shougenai ne". He then proceeded to prepare breakfast, hang out the washing and do the dishes.
 
Some things are the same no matter where you live in the world!

2 comments: